Introduction of the common refrigeration compressor types used in air-conditioning applications, including reciprocating, scroll, helical-rotary (screw), and centrifugal.
- Review of the basic refrigeration cycle
- Open, semi-hermetic, and hermetic refrigeration compressors
- Types of compressors (reciprocating, scroll, helical-rotary, centrifugal)
- Principles of refrigeration compressors operation
- Methods of compressor capacity control (cylinder unloaders, cycling, slide valve, inlet vanes, variable-speed)
- Methods of system-level control (direct expansion versus chilled water, constant volume versus VAV)
- Preventing evaporator freeze-up (sensing suction temperature, hot gas bypass)